Whenever I want a never-fail chicken roast, I cook Jamie Oliver’s Lemon Roast Chicken. Until I cooked it far too many times and got bored with it.
I discovered a tastier alternative to Jamie’s roast. Elmer can’t stop raving about it.
From Australian Women’s Weekly- The Sunday Roast, with some simple twist:
1.5 kg free range whole chicken
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups stale breadcrumbs
1 stalk celery, trimmed, chopped finely
1 small white onion, chopped finely
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp finely chopped fresh sage leaves
1 egg, beaten lightly
30 g butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C/400 degrees F.
2. Make herb stuffing. Just combine all ingredients in a bowl.
3. Remove and discard any fat from cavity of chicken. Rinse chicken inside and out with water. Pat dry cavity and skin with absorbent paper. Season chicken with olive oil, sea salt and pepper mixed together.
4. Fill cavity of chicken with stuffing, fold over skin to enclose stuffing; secure with toothpicks. Tie legs together with kitchen string.
5. Place chicken on oiled wire rack in large baking dish. Half-fill baking dish with water – it should not touch the chicken. Roast 15 minutes.
6. Reduce oven to 180 C/350 F; bake further 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is cooked through, basting occasionally with pan juices. Stand chicken 10 minutes before serving.